African Walnut is an edible single seeded stone fruits botanically called Tetracarpidium conophoram and Coula edults, its plant is mostly cultivated for its nuts which can be cooked or consumed as snacks. The nuts comprises of families such as Euphorbiaceae (Tetracarpidium conophoram) and Olacaceae ( Coula edults), with each family having its own specific feature.
The Euphorbiaceis mostly found in Nigeria and Cameroon, while the Olacaceae is found in some central African countries such as Congo, Liberia and Gabon. In the western part of Nigeria the African Walnuts is known as ausa or asala while in the southern part its called ukpa. In Cameroon its also known as ngak or kaso.
The African Walnut is a rich source of vitamins and Minerals, proteins, fiber, health fats, plant sterols and antioxidant, compared other nuts it is considered the king of nuts due to the numerous health benefits it has. so here are top 10 health benefits that will make you eat African walnuts Regulary.
Top 10 Health Benefits African Walnut
1. Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals: African walnut contains vitamins such as vitamin E,B6,B7, thiamin, folate and also a rich source of magnesium which is higly needed by the body daily.
2. Presence of Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acid: African walnut also contains alot of omega 3 and 6 fatty acid that is very vital for the body for disease prevention, blood clothing, cell growth, and immune infection.
3. Prevent Heart Disease: The nuts according to recent research carried out in USA prevents heart disease (conary heart disease)it is said to contains amino acid 1-arginine that helps persons with heart disease,lower the risk of sudden cardiac death and supports healthful cholesterol level. its also contains very powerful antioxidant such as flavonol morin,quinone juglone, and tannin tellimagrandin that are rare in most foods we eat, this effective antioxidant helps control heart of age related deterioration.
4. Helpful for Brain: Like i said before African walnut contains omega 3 fats, vitamin E and folate which is highly needed by the brain as its supports the area of memory, enhance cognitive functions, and increase inferential reasoning in adults.
5. Prevent Cancer: Yes! consuming african walnuts regularly can also prevent cancer as it contains cancer fighting properties such as phytosterols, omega 3 fatty acid, antioxidant that helps to reduce the risk of prostrate and breast cancer in humans.
6. Prevent Diabetes: According to various research conducted, people that are obese and with type 2 diabetes should include walnut as an essential part of their diet as it lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
7. Improve Fertility in Men: Daily intake of African Walnut according to my recent findings, also help to improve the quality of sperm in men, including vitality, motility and morphology.
8. Good Hair Food: African walnut very high in vitamin, contains vitamin B7 (biotin) that helps to reduce hair fall, strengthen the hair, and improve the hair growth, so that makes it a good hair food.
9. Helps in Weight Control: Walnut is also helpful in terms of maintaining your ideal weight, as it contains proteins, fiber, omega 3 that helps provide satiety.
10. Medicinal Purpose: walnuts are also considered to be traditional herb in Chinese, as it is use to tonify kidneys, stop asthma, used for elderly ones to cure constipation, and finally the bark is used in tea as laxative and chewed for toothache.
Source: Naira Health