COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF EMERGENCY CONGRESS OF ASSOCIATION OF RESIDENT DOCTORS, UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA TEACHING HOSPITAL (ARD UNTH), ITUKU OZALLA, ENUGU STATE, WHICH HELD ON SUNDAY, 15th November, 2015 AT THE ARD COMMON ROOM.
The Association of Resident Doctors of University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku Ozalla, Enugu State held her Emergency Congress on Sunday, 15th November, 2015, following the intervention of the Honourable Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole.
Members observed as follows:
1) That the Honourable Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole has in a meeting with the President of Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Sir Dr Kayode Obembe and President of National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), Dr Muhammed Askira, expressed his determination to look into and solve the problems of the Nigerian Health Sector with particular interest in UNTH, being the only federal teaching hospital currently experiencing Industrial disharmony.
2) That the Honourable Minister in the meeting made a passionate appeal that we restore services in UNTH while he wades in fully into our demands, assuring that he will do all within his powers to see that our demands are given the necessary and deserved attention.
3) That even though the UNTH Management has acknowledged the genuineness of our demands/out cry, the major reason why the strike action has been sustained till now is because we have not seen appreciable intervention in the area of improving services offered and patient care.
1) After painstaking deliberations, members unanimously resolved that in honour of the Honourable Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole, and in obedience to the directives of the President of our National body, Dr Muhammad Askira who has also shown enormous support to the struggles of ARD UNTH, members have resolved to suspend the present Industrial action with effect from 8am Monday, 16th November, 2015.
2) ARD UNTH succumbed to this intervention from the Honourable Minister of Health as a mark of honour to his new office and hope that the good will so generated by this gesture will culminate in the Honourable Minister seeing to the speedy resolution of our agitations as part of his first assignment in office.
3) Members appreciate the efforts of the present Government of ‘Change’ ably led by President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR in reforming the health sector in Nigeria.
4) We appreciate the support and understanding of the general public in course of this strike action. Our efforts are sincerely geared towards rebooting UNTH for the benefit of both patients and staff of the hospital.
Dr Ugwuoke Aloy Ifedinso
President, ARD UNTH
Dr Ndiokwelu Chibuzor Secretary General, ARD UNTH
Dr Chukwuma C. Oraegbunam
Public Relations Officer, ARD UNTH