If you plan not to practice in Nigeria, then I am quite sure you must have heard of OET.
By now, you must have made up your mind to emigrate out of Nigeria for a better place. You should however know about this new IELTS alternative.
Let me first start by telling you that OET stands for Occupational English Test.
From my last count, I know four medical doctors who would be sitting for the Test this year alone. Many professionals are ditching IELTS for the OET.
OET is a healthcare-specific English language test. It assesses the language proficiency of healthcare professionals looking to register and practice in an English-speaking environment.
OET originated from Australia just as IELTS is from United Kingdom.
Is OET the right test for me?
OET tests internationally trained healthcare professionals from the following 12 professions:
|Speech Pathology||Physiotherapy||Veterinary Science|
Why should I take OET?
- It’s the only English language test that’s specifically for healthcare professionals.
- OET test materials reflect real healthcare scenarios so you’ll know what to expect and feel more confident on test day.
- While preparing for OET you’ll be learning exactly the kind of language you’ll need for success at work.
- OET is recognized as proof of English proficiency by healthcare regulators in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, Namibia, Singapore, and Malta. Find out who recognizes OET.
- OET is also accepted for visa and immigration purposes in Australia and New Zealand.
- It’s easy to prepare for the test using OET’s online Preparation Portal, which includes many hours’ worth of free practice resources.
What’s in the test?
OET covers all four language skills (Writing, Speaking, Reading and Listening), with an emphasis on communication in a healthcare environment.
|Writing a profession-specific letter Of referral or discharge, or a letter to inform or advise a patient/ carer/ group||Role-plays with an interlocutor who plays the part of a patient/ relative/ carer.||Completion of a health-related summary paragraph and multiple-choice questions on a longer health-related text.||Note-taking on a recorded professional consultation and a range of questions on a health-related talk.|
Where and when can I take OET?
OET is available every month in more than 130 venues in 40 countries, with 14 test dates per year.
Note: Although there are test dates every month, registration is only open for the next three test dates at a time.
Though the exam is relatively new in Nigeria, you can take OET at International House Trust Assessment in Lagos.
For the full list of OET test dates and venues, see here.
How do I apply for OET?
It’s easy! You apply for OET via the OET website
But bear in mind however that the cost is AUD587.
Unlike the cost for IELTS which is between N75,000 – N97,000 OET is approximately N150,000.
The cost difference is not as wide as most people feared.
THE BIG QUESTION?
But why are many health professionals ditching the traditional IELTS for the new OET?
In my next post I will be outlining the reasons why many Nigerians are leaving IELTS for OET.