COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE 58TH ANNUAL GENERAL/SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE AND DELEGATES’ MEETING OF THE NIGERIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (NMA) HELD AT THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTRE ABUJA FROM 29TH APRIL TO 6TH MAY 2018.
The 58th Annual General/ scientific conference and delegates’ meeting held from the 29th April to 6th May 2018 at the International Conference Centre (ICC) Abuja. The theme of the conference was “Quality Healthcare Delivery: An Indicator of Good Governance and the subthemes were: Budgeting for health in resource per setting.: the Nigerian experience; Reversing medical tourism through efficient public-private partnership in Nigeria and the National Health Act:. Four years after where are we?”
The Special Guest of Honour was His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, The President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He was ably represented by His Excellency Prof, Yemi Osinbajo GOON (SAN), The Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The Chairman of the opening ceremony was former Head of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria General Yakubu Governor GCFR. The Guest of Honour was the President of the Nigerian Senate His Excellency Senator Dr Bukola Saraki CON. The Chief Hosts were the Honourable Minister of Health Prof. Isaac Folorunso Adewole and the Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Muhammad Musa Betio. The Keynote Speaker on the theme of the conference was a former Minister of Health Prof Eyitayo Lambo.
The Conference was preceded by a two day medical mission to Abaji Area CounciL of the Federal Capital Territory where over one thousand persons with varied medical conditions were offered free treatments including 150 general surgeries and the sights of 25 persons were restored by cataract extraction surgeries.
The National Officers Committee (NOC) also paid courtesy visits to the President of the Nigerian Senate His Excellency Senator Dr Bukola Saraki CON., Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, the Onah of Abaji and several other distinguished personalities. Furthermore, the NOC took a tour of selected health facilities within the FCT including Kwali General Hospital, Garki Hospital, Nizamiye hospital and Cedar Crest Hospital.
A very successful Town Hall meeting with politicians, Civil Society Organizations and other stakeholders in the health sector held at the Royal Choice Inn, Abuja and was chaired by Prof Jerry Gana. This interaction was aimed at setting the agenda on health for 2019 elections.
The NMA 2017- 2022 Strategic Plan document was unveiled to the public by the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Prof. Osinbajo GCON (SAN). Here is Prof Osinbajo FULL STATEMENT.
- The ADM applauds the Government for their efforts in rehabilitation of Primary Health Centres and other health institutions in Nigeria and appeal for the accreditation of such centres as primary providers of health services in the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
- The ADM commends the Senate for approving the inclusion of 1% of the Consolidated Revenue Fund of the federation in the 2018 budget for improved funding of primary healthcare in Nigeria as mandated by the National Health Act 2014.
- The ADM extols the Government for the invitation extended to the leadership of the NIA to be part of the expanded National Economic Council meeting of 22nid March 2018.
- The ADM commends the efforts of Government in bringing under control the Lassa fever epidemic and the ban on the sale of codeine containing cough syrup.
- The ADM expressed its dismay with the Government for not reconstituting the board of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) after 3 years of its dissolution.
- The ADM disparaged the on-going strike action by JOHESU and appeal led to Government to honour its agreements with all health workers.
- The ADM expressed its displeasure with the plight of foreign medical graduate who are unable to register with the regulatory bodies of the countries where they trained.
- The ADM frowns at the persistent low budgetary allocation and releases for the health sector at all levels of government.
- The ADM appeals to Government to reconstitute the governing board of MDCN without further delay.
- The ADM further admonishes the Government to be conscious of the existence of relativity as signed in the collective bargaining agreement of 2014 with Government as NMA will not tolerate its desecration.
- The ADM reaffirmed the resolution and directive of the 2014 AGM of the NMA on any distortions of relativity as agreed and signed by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the NMA.
- The ADM further resolved that the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria should not register any foreign medical graduate who is not registrable by the regulatory body of the country of their training.
- ADM resolves that quality he delivery shall be an indicator for good governance at all levels of governments.
- The ADM calls on government to increase budgetary allocation release to meet 15% of the total budget.
- ADM calls on the government to embrace the universal health coverage for all Nigerians.
- The ADM also call on government to improve the work environment and upgrade the infrastructure to meet international standards in order to reverse medical tourism.
ELECTION INTO THE 2018-2020 EXECUTIVE YEAR OF NMA
Sequel to a peaceful, free and fair electoral process, the following members of the association were elected into the National Officers Committee (NOC) of the association namely.
- Dr Francis Adedayo Faduyile – President
- Dr Kenneth Tijo – Vice President I
- Dr Ofem Enang. – Vice President II
- Dr Olumuyiwa Peter Odusote – Secretary General
- Dr Benjamin lkechukwu Umezurike – Deputy Secretary General
- Dr Ayuwaja Nayagawa – National Treasurer
- Dr AbdulGafar Jimoh – National Financial Secretary
- Dr Obitade Obimakinde – National Publicity Secretary
- Prof. Augustine V. Umoh – Editor NMJ
- Prof. Mike Ozovehe Ogirima. – Immediate Past President
- Dr Yusuf Tanko Sununu – Immediate Past Secretary General
RECIPIENTS OF THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD OF THE NMA
The ADM conferred the Distinguished Service Award to the following deserving members of the society:
- His Excellency RT. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal CFR, the Executive Governor of Sokoto State
- His Excellency Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku FNIA, the Executive Governor of Taraba State.
- His Excellency Alhaji (Dr) Ibrahim Gaidam FCNA, FCPA, Executive Governor of Yobe State.
- Her Excellency Dr Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu, Wife of the Executive Governor of Kebbi State
- Chief Dr Osobonye Rogers Long John JP MBBS (London) FRCS, (ED) FMCS, FWACS, FICS
- Professor Joseph Ana Lead Senior Fellow at HRI West Africa
- Ezeogo Dr Anagha Ezikpe, OFR
- Dr Safiya Yahaya-kongoila.
The ADM of the Nigerian Medical Association is immensely grateful to the following eminent personalities.
- His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, The President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- His Excellency Prof. Yemi Osinbajo GCON (SAN), the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- His Excellency General Yakubu Gowon GCFR, Former Head of State.
- His Excellency Senator (Dr) Bukola Saraki, The President of the Nigerian Senate
- The Honourable Minister of Health Prof. Isaac Folorunso Adewole
- The Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Alhaji Muhammad Musa Bello.
- Prof Eyitayo Lambo, Former Minister of Health.
- His Royal, Highness, the Emir of Shonga Dr Haliru Yahaya.
Dr Francis Adedayo Faduyile
Dr Odusote Olumuyiwa Peter