Couples experience a higher level of joy the instant it is confirmed that the cry of a baby will soon be heard in the family. This is especially true for newly wedded young couples. A lot of preparation is made to give the new foetus a ‘safe’ trip from intra-uterine to postpartum periods.
Expectant mums begin to stay off a number of things, imagined and real, that they feel may adversely affect the outcome of the pregnancy. Alcohol consumption and drug ingestion are common no-no for pregnant ladies.
I thought to share this list of some common drugs and its side effect on that little babe. Note that this list is not exhaustive and every pregnant lady must consult a doctor before this drugs are consumed.
1. NSAIDS (Aspirin, Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Indomethacine… etc) during 3rd trimester. May have effects on the fetal cardiovascular system (closure of the ductus arteriosus).
2. Statins (Atrovastatine, Simvastatine, Levostatine… etc). Cholesterol is needed for fetal growth and its reduction by statins could harm the fetus.
3. Warfarin:- Causes multiple birth defects.
4. Testosterone:- Can cause birth defects.
5. Misoprostol:- Miscarriage.
6. Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (Bactrim) during 3rd trimester. May increase bilirubin levels leading to kernicterus.
7. Nitroimidazole, (Metronidazole and Tinidazole) during 1st trimester.
8. Griseofulvin:- May increased risk of spontaneous abortion.
9. Methotrexate:- Causes cleft palate along with multiple defects.
10. Estradiol:- Urogenital abnormalities in offspring that manifest later in life. May couse uterine cervix, vaginal and testicular cancer have developed later in life in offspring.
11. Thalidomide:- Seal like limbs and other defects.
12. Clomiphene citrate:- Can cause birth defects.
13. Medroxyprogesterone acetate:- Can cause birth defects.
14. Vitamin A and its derivatives:- Birth defects, miscarriage.
15. Danazol:- Causes malformations in sex organs of female fetus.
16. Finasteride:- Even pregnant women should not handle broken or crushed tablets since it can get absorbed through the skin and affect the sex organ development of the male fetus.
17. Tetracyclines:- Get deposited in fetal bones and retard their growth, also affect teeth causing them to be discolored and deformed.
18. Chloramphenicol:- Gray baby syndrome.
19. Isoniazid:- Neuropthy and seizures in fetus, liver damage in mother.
20. Sodium Valproate:- Defects of the nervous system.
21. ACE inhibitors (Enalapril, Captopril, Lisinopril…etc):- Growth retardation, birth defects, fetal death.
22. Lithium:- Affects fetal thyroid, heart beside causing other abnormalities.
23. Phenytoin:- Cleft lip/ palate along with other deformities.
24. Anti convulsants:- Trimethadione, Valproic acid, Carbamazepine – Multiple birth defects.
25. Androgens:- Multiple defects.