COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY NIGERIAN MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENCE STUDENTS’ ASSOCIATION (NIMELSSA) AT THE END OF HER 41ST ANNUAL NATIONAL CONVENTION HELD BETWEEN 31ST OCTOBER TO 5TH NOVENBER, 2016 AT IMO STATE UNIVERSITY.
The Nigerian Medical Laboratory Science Students’ Association (NIMELSSA) held Her 41st Annual Convention From 31st October To 5th November, 2016 at Imo State University, Owerri. The theme of the convention was ” The Role of Medical Laboratory Science as the bedrock of Medicine in the 21st Century”.
The convention was declared open by the Ag. Vice Chancellor of Imo State University, Prof. Mrs Victoria Atiaohl Obasi ably represented by the former Ag. Vice ChPricel!cif of Imo State University, Prof. B. E.B. Nwoke on Tuesday 1st November,2016 at the ASUU Secretariat. The guest lecture was presented by the former Ag. Vice Chancellor of Imo State University, Prof. B. E.B. Nwoke on the theme of the convention.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONVENTION.
1. To promote unity and love among Medical Laboratory Science Students in Nigerian Universities.
2. To update Medical Laboratory Science Students in Nigeria about their future role in health care delivery.
3. To share knowledge and also to interact both socially and culturally.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CONVENTION.
Participants arrived from various universities across Nigeria and where accommodated at Candlewood Hotel & Suites, Owerri on Monday 31st October, 2016.
The opening ceremony started at about 12pm on Tuesday 1st November, 2016. In attendance is the Chairman of the occasion, Hon. Chike Okafor, Chairman Federal House Committee on health services; Acting registrar /CEO of Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria(MLSCN) Mr. Tosan Erhabor ably represented by Alhaji Azeez; Former Ag. VC Imo State University, Prof. B.E.B Nwoke; Representative of the Commissioner of Health Imo State; Dean Faculty of Health Sciences Imo State University, Prof. Harrison U. Nwanjo; Deputy Director, Laboratory Services FMC, Owerri, Dr. Uche Uchegbu; Dr. Tony Uhuegbu, the chairman, Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria (AMLSN) Imo branch; Prof D.C. Nwosu, staff adviser Imo state University. Participants visited the Oguta wonder lake. Students from various universities participated in the Pa Dr. R.A.O. Shonekan inter-University quiz competition. Usman Danfodio university Sokoto came first, Achiever’s university and university of Maiduguri came second and third respectively.
Medical outreach was successfully carried out at Ideato North, Nkwerre and Owerri.
The Annual general meeting took place and participants contributed immensely on the way forward.
Sports and football competition took place at the Kano Nwankwo sports complex, Owerri which was sponsored by the Provost Federal School of Medical Laboratory Science Jos, Dr. Obong N. S Etukudoh.
The dinner night was also a great event featuring pageantry, award presentations and gifts presentation to various winners in quiz, football and other sporting activities.
The election was conducted on the final day. Four chapters contested for the secretariat position and Ambrose Ali University Ekpoma emerged the winner.
OBSERVATIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS.
The convention deliberated on the theme, sub-theme and others among which are issues relating to students’ unionism and thereafter made the following observations and recommendations:
1. The convention emphasizes the pivotal role of Medical Laboratory Science in health care delivery most especially in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
2. The convention observed the increase in the scientific approach to health care delivery hence the need for students to have advanced knowledge for quality and effective response to health services.
3. Participants fully appreciate the support of government at all level and other agencies in their effort to give quality health care to the populace and called on them to do more.
4. Convention appreciates the MLSCN for her care, presence and support before, during and after the convention.
5. Participants also appreciate AMLSN National for her undivided support and recognition to her daughter association. And also for bringing students into their activities, as well as recognizing the best graduating student of Medical Laboratory Science during the just concluded Conference held in Taraba State.
6. Participants observed that some schools do not reseat for professional examination. We are bringing this to the notice of MLSCN to please look into and ensure that students of various universities offering Medical Laboratory Science across the nation have equal opportunity.
7. Participants also raised the issue of the difficulty faced in securing internship for qualified graduates. We are also soliciting that MLSCN and AMLSN should ensure that the facilities for internship be expanded to accommodate the growing population of graduates nationwide.
8. Participants observed the problem faced by schools on accreditation by National University Commission (NUC) and MLSCN. We solicit that all hands should be up and doing in order to ensure schools are accredited as at when due.
9. Participants noted with dismay that the curriculum for training across
various schools is not uniform and we plea that this should be strongly looked at to enable various universities train Medical Laboratory Science Students according to the benchmark minimum academic standard stipulated by the NUC.
10. Participants observed also the standing issue regarding non- payment of provisional executive council (PEC) due which is to be paid in each session by various chapters as major setback to the effective running of the association . we solicit to our mother association through the HODs and Deans forum to help us enforce this payment.
The 41st annual convention of Nigerian Medical Laboratory Science Students’ Association is one the most attended in the recent times.
We deeply appreciate:
• AMLSN National ;
• Dean Faculty of Health Sciences Imo State University;
• The Provost Federal School of Medical Laboratory Science, Jos;
• AMLSN National VP 1
• Ass. Prof. James G. Damen and all those who contributed in one way or the other to the success of the convention.
To God be the glory.
Hon. Williams 0. National (President.)
Hon. Daniang N. Yaksuk (National General Secretary.)
Hon. K. Felix National (P.R.O.)
(Visited 137 times, 1 visits today)
JOIN THE NEW DoctorsQuarters.com BBM CHANNEL ON C0015D291... Its New And Refreshingby by