Yes… They are actually little but vital things! Let’s see how.
The human eye is one of the most important delicate organ of the body. Yet, it seems to be one of the most neglected and undervalued organ of the human body. Maybe because we see it as been simple: just a small ball-like organ used to see objects. But did you know that your eye is the second most complex organ after your brain. Did you know that the retina (just a single layer of the eye’s tunica) contains about 7 million cones and 120 million rods.
Hmmm… Yet you dare to underestimate the power of your eyes. I believe this eye possesses in itself mysteries yet to be unfolded. If our eyes are this fascinating and important, how much of it do we know and how can we actually maintain healthy eyes for the greater part of our lives.
Yes, I said “for the greater part of our lives” because it’s natural that our eyes degenerate as we age, but the good news is that we can actually do something to keep it better and even sharper than normal. These presented here and other measures as advised by your doctor you should adhere to in other to maintain good vision.
1. Good Dieting: Generally speaking, a healthy diet is essential for general well being of your body. Your eyes is not an exception to this fact. Studies have shown that vitamins A, C and E are essential in maintaining the integrity of the eyes. Greeny vegetables contain beta-carotein (a form of vit. A) which enhances night vision. Lack of vit. A could result to a condition known as Night blindness (loss of vision at night). It could also lead to xerophthalmia(dry eye), corneal ulceration and retinal damage. When used in combination with other vitamin antioxidants like Vit. E and C, it aids to prevent the progression the AMD (Age-related Macular Degeneration) in some individuals . Other helpful supplements include luthein and zeaxanthin.
2. Regular Eye Examination: This would have been my first point because I deem it very important. Always see an eye doctor on a regular basis to determine the healthiness of your eye. It’s true that you may be seeing clearly and fine without stress; yet there are several eye disorders (like Glaucoma, Diabetic retinopathy, AMD, etc.) that do not present any symptom or obvious sign before it becomes worse and even cause a total loss of vision (blindness). You therefore should visit an optometrist, who will perform a comprehensive dilated eye exam on you to determine your eye health status.
3. Good Hygiene And Proper Examination: The saying “neatness is next to Godliness” , is not different when it concerns our eyes. A host of eye infections could be prevented just by keeping clean yourself and your environs. Trachoma which is the leading cause of preventable blindness worldwide has been totally abolished in the United States due her high level of Sanitation, good hygiene and General civilization/enlightenment. Hand washing (especially for children who are more prone to pick up germs from various sources as they play) is vital in this regard as this aids to limit to a greater extent the likelihood of introducing germs(pathogenic agents) into the eyes. Be smarter today, always keep your hands clean. If you use contact lenses, be sure to adhere strictly to the instructions of your eye doctor. Always disinfect it as instructed and keep it clean.
4. Your Sunglasses And Other Spectacle Prescription: If your workplace requires you to wear a protective Eye wear while performing certain works, do yourself great good by adhering to the given instructions. Also encourage your co-workers to do same. Studies have shown that magnetic radiation – UV-rays – is capable of causing retinal degeneration and a gradual loss of vision. Use sunglasses that protect your eyes from UV-A and UV-B RAYS.
5. Bad Habit especially Smoking: Is very bad for your eye. Specifically speaking, Smoking alone has been proven to be a major leading factor of preventable blindness by its way of causing some ocular diseases like Age-related Macular Degeneration, Cataract, Optic nerve damage, etc.
6. Keep Your Eyes Wet: You can achieve this by observing rests when watching movies on TVs, PCs or reading books and then performing some blinking exercises; as this aids to lubricate your eyes. In short, blink frequently! It helps. But if you have a dry eye or experience foreign sensations when blinking, make use of artificial tears as prescribed by your optometrist/ophthalmologist.
Finally, your eye as little and insignificant as it might look, is an elaborate course of its own and would be extremely cumbersome and difficult to be exhaustively treated in one article. So, I challenge you to look up for more information about your eye, you could revisit here regularly as we would do our best to keep you updated and enlightened on issues concerning your wonderful and wonder-filled eyes. Please feel free to share with us your ideas, comments and questions on the above discussed issue. Am sure there are a host of other ways you take care of your eyes you would like us to know. Let’s hear them! Also feel free to share this post with friends and enemies (if you have one… Am not sure if I do) as it could go a long way in aiding to keep their sight at optimal functionality.