I have been getting a stream of emails from readers requesting for details about when the next MDCN assessment examinations will hold. I hope this helps… The next Assessment Examination of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria is scheduled to hold from Wednesday 15th – Friday 17th November, 2017 at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Kwara State.
- i) The examination shall be for candidates trained in ALL Countries (other than Nigeria) and whose training institutions are currently listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools (www.wdoms.org); and for Nigeria-trained doctors that either failed to complete their internship within twenty-four months of graduation or those whose medical/dental schools lost their accreditation.
- ii) Candidates must hold medical/dental degrees of approved medical and dental training institutions that shall be verified by Electronic Portfolio of Internation Credentials (EPIC).
- iii) Candidates must show evidence of eligibility to practice medicine/dentistry in the Country of training. A current practising license and a Certificate of Good Standing from the Country’s medical/dental regulatory authority shall be required.
INELIGIBILITY FOR THE EXAMINATION
- i) Medical/dental students yet to be fully released by their universities need not apply.
- ii) Applicants without all required credentials.
- iii) Applicants from medical/dental schools not listed in World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS).
The examination shall consist of:
- i) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) covering all aspects of Basic and Clinical Sciences in Medicine and Dentistry.
- ii) Short Answer Questions (for medical candidates only)
- iii) Long Essay Questions (for medical candidates only).
iv) Clinical Examination comprising Long and Short Cases or Objectives Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
v) Practical Clinical Examination in Conservative Dentistry and Oral Surgery (for Dental candidates only).
vi) Practical Examination which may include such items as identification of instruments, specimens, interpretation of slides, radiographs and laboratory investigations.
vii) Oral Examination (Viva voce).
viii) English Language paper for non-English speaking graduates from medical/dental schools whose language of instruction is not English.
COMPULSORY REMEDIAL COURSE
The course is covered by the examination fee. All candidates MUST therefore, attend the remedial course being organized by the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Kwara State from 1st August 2017 to 31st October 2017. Candidates would be expected to produce evidence of having participated in the remedial course, to be allowed to write the examination. Each candidate must obtain a record book where his/her attendance and participation in all course activities are duly endorsed by the Supervising Consultants.
(I) Nigerian Citizens – N 125,000.00
(2) Non-Nigerian Citizens – N 200,000.00
(3) Other charges (Dental materials for dental candidates only) – N 25,000.00
Application forms, at the cost of Five Thousand Naira (N5,000) only, are downloadable from MDCN’s website (www.mdcn.gov.ng) or can be collected at any of Council’s Offices.
All payments to Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria should be made through REMITA payment platform (www.remita.net).
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSION OF FORMS
- Evidence of verification of credentials by EPIC with the report sent directly to MDCN.
- Evidence of payment of required fees to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- Photocopies of all relevant academic qualifications i.e GCE/SSCE/NECO, medical/dental degree certificates.
- Relevant portions of International Passport (Visa & Departure pages).
- Two (2) recent, colour passport-size photographs.
- Birth certificate or statutory declaration of age
- Current practising license/evidence of eligibility to practice medicine/dentistry in the Country of training, issued by the Medical/Dental Regulatory Authority (MRA) in that
- Certificate of Good Standing from the MRA should be sent directly to MDCN.
- Closing date for submission of application forms is 31st August, 2017.
- All applications with supporting documents must reach the Office of the Ag.Registrar at Plot 1102, Cadastral Zone B 11, Off Oladipo Diya Road, Behind Prince & Princess Estate, Kaura District, P.M.B. 458, Garki, Abuja, FCT or any of our Zonal offices not later than the stated closing date.
MDCN Zonal Offices
(i) No.25, Ahmed Onibudo Street, Victoria Island, P.M.B.12611, Lagos.
(ii) No. 2, Ogufere Street, Off Okpara Avenue, P.M.B. 1431, Enugu, Enugu State.
(iii) Plot 3, Unguwan Gwari Crescent, Kawo (Zaria Road), Kaduna, Kaduna State.
(iv) No. 13, Peter Tokula Street, GRA, Ilorin, Kwara State