COMMUNIQUE AT THE END OF 80th REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMITTEE OF CHIEF MEDICAL DIRECTORS/MEDICAL DIRECTORS, FEDERAL TERTIARY HOSPITALS HELD FROM 2nd – 5th AUGUST, 2017 AT TREASURE SUITES AND CONFERENCE CENTRE, ALONG ABIA HOUSE STREET, OPPOSITE FEDERAL HIGH COURT, CMD, ABUJA
The committee of Chief Medical Directors/Medical Directors of Federal Tertiary Hospitals held its’ 80th regular meeting at Treasure Suite and Conference Center, Abuja from 2nd to 5th August 2017, The Director o Hospital Services was represented by Director in charge of Federal Medical Centers, Dr. Ngozi Onwudiwe, Dr. David Atuwo and Mrs. Uloma Mbanaso of Department of Hospital Services.
The Committee observed:
- That the Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Ministry of Finance have completed the verification of outsourced services liabilities of the Federal Tertiary Hospitals with a view to effect necessary payments.
- With relief the commencement of the process of migrating Resident Doctors unto the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System (IPPIS) platform. 55925
- That some Federal Tertiary Hospitals are still groaning under shortfall in personnel emoluments which is a hindrance to their ability to pay workers’ salaries.
- With caution the recent stakeholders meeting on the use of Consultants for the implementation of the provision of online health pay platform for the payments and monitoring of revenues in Federal Health establishments.
- The Committee recommends that the Federal Ministry of Finance should expedite action on the release of funds for the payment of liabilities of outsourced services accruing at the Federal Tertiary Hospitals as non-payment is affecting critical services and the livelihood of outsourced workers. The committee further recommends that to prevent recurrence of this unpleasant situation, a budget line should be created to cater for this group of workers.
- The Committee implores the Federal Ministry of Finance and relevant Agencies to expedite action and ensure seamless completion of the process of enrolment of Resident Doctors unto the IPPIS platform.
- The Committee recommends that the Federal Ministry of Health should liaise with the Federal Ministry of Finance to address the recurrent shortfall in salaries at the Federal Tertiary Hospitals.
- The Committee recommends that the Federal Ministry of Health should liaise with the Federal Ministry of Finance to conduct an in-depth needs assessment of individual Hospitals to ascertain what constitutes internally generated revenue and the financial burden of the Federal Tertiary Hospitals in view of the essential and social service nature of their operations.
The Federal Tertiary Hospitals are under immense pressure in delivering their mandates mainly due to budgetary constrains, we believe that the implementation of these recommendations will enhance their ability to deliver quality health care service to the Nation.
The committee wishes to express deep gratitude to the Hon. Minister of Health and the Department of Hospital Services for finding time within his busy schedule to attend the meeting.
Prof. Thomas U. Agan (Chairman)
Dr J.A.F Momoh (Vice Chairman/Secretary)