COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE 1ST ORDINARY GENERAL MEETING (OGM) OF MEDICAL AND DENTAL CONSULTANTS’ ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (MDCAN), UNIVERSITY OF UYO TEACHING HOSPITAL (UUTH) CHAPTER, UYO HELD ON WEDNESDAY, THE 1ST MARCH, 2017 AT THE MDCAN, UUTH’S LOUNGE.
The Medical and Dental Consultants’ Association of Nigeria (MDCAN), University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH) Chapter, Uyo met on the above date and resolved as follows:
1. We condemn and reject in its entirety the classification of Honorary Consultants as non-regular staff by the Federal Ministries of Finance, Budget and Health bearing in mind that Patients are registered under the Consultants who take responsibility for their care.
2. We condemn in strong terms the delay in payment of Salaries to the Honorary Consultants in the last six months.
3. Congress frowns at non-payment of December 2016 and 50 % payment of January 2017 Salaries to the Honorary Consultants especially as in the same system certain category of staff get paid their full salaries. We hereby demand that all outstanding salaries should be paid to the Honorary Consultants within 21 days to avoid industrial disharmony.
4. We demand that Honorary Consultants should be incorporated into IPPS Platform to forestall further hardship on our members.
5. We are aware that the office of the Chief Medical Director, University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH) will soon be vacant and Medical and Dental Consultants’ Association of Nigeria (MDCAN), University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH) Chapter wishes to affirm her keen interest in the selection processes of the person to occupy the office of Chief Medical Director as already communicated to the last Board of Management under the leadership of Mr. Biyi Otegbeye.
6. It is the expressed position of Medical and Dental Consultants’ Association of Nigeria (MDCAN), University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH) Chapter that the incoming Chief Medical Director (CMD) be chosen from Full-time Lecturers (Honorary Consultants) of the University of Uyo and Full time Consultants of University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH), Uyo who have spent a minimum period of five years with the institutions in addition to any other qualifications as stated by the Federal Ministry of Health.
Dr. Kunle Abudu (Chairman)
Dr. Kufre Umoh (Secretary)