The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, has inaugurated a Ministerial Committee on the restructuring of the Residency Programme with a view to institutionalizing effective and sustainable training for doctors in the health sector.
Speaking while inaugurating the committee on Tuesday, Adewole charged members to restore the confidence of Nigerians in the health system.
The Minister noted that the programme has witnessed several modifications to the extent that there was no uniform template being implemented by the various institutions. This, he said, has thus led to disputes in the various training institutions and the local chapters of the Resident Doctors Association, which has culminated into industrial disharmony.
Adewole tasked members of the committee, who he said were carefully enlisted from relevant professional groups in the health sector, to deliver on the following terms of references:
• To Appraise the Report of the Previous Committee on Residency Programme Submitted to the Honourable Minister of Health in April 2016 as it affects recruitment and career progression of Resident Doctors including the existing structure.
• To Examine the Existing funding Mechanism of Residency Training and Role of Relevant Stakeholders vis-a-vis Government, Resident Doctors and the teaching Hospitals.
• To Make Recommendations on a Sustainable Uniform Residency Training Programme in Terms of Structure and Training Modules including a template for the Appointment of Resident Doctors.
• To make any other Relevant Recommendation that will contribute to the Development of a well-structured Programme for the Nation.
Speaking earlier, the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Health, Dr. Amina Shamaki, represented by the Director of Family Health, Dr. Wapada Balami, urged the committee members to use their expertise in carrying out the assignment for the overall benefit of the Nigerian populace.
In his acceptance speech, Chairman of the Committee, Prof. Adewole Atoyebi, promised that they would be professional in their duty and submit the report in due time.
The Members of the Committee are:
1. Prof. Adewole Atoyebi, The Register – MPGMC – Chairman
2. Prof. Mike Ogirima- President NMA – Member
3. Prof.A.O Omigbodun – President ,West African College of Surgeons – Member
4. The President and Secretary, West African College of Physicians – Member
5. The President ,NARD -Member
6. The President, MDCN -Member
7. The President, MDCAN – Member
8. Dr. J.O Olatosi, West African College of Surgeons- Member
9. Prof. Ademola A. Olaitan ,The College President, NPGMC – Member
10. Prof. Uche Ezem (O&G) Dean ,Imo State University – Member
11. Prof. Philip Abiodun,Paediatrics Dept, UBTH – Member
12. Prof. Moses Momoh ,Dean of Surgery, UBTH
13. Prof. B.B Shehu, Neurosurgeon – Member
14. Committee of Chief Medical Director, FHTIs – Member
15. Director, Dept of Hospital Services, FMOH – Member/ Secretary.
(Visited 60 times, 1 visits today)
JOIN THE NEW DoctorsQuarters.com BBM CHANNEL ON C0015D291... Its New And Refreshingby by