Well, the World Health Organisation thinks over 3000 adolescents, between the ages of 10 – 19 years, die daily from preventable diseases.
The top 5 causes of these deaths are
- Road Traffic Accident
Other commoner causes of death include,
- Lower Respiratory tract infections
These deaths are totally preventable if more efforts at preventing occurrence rather than cure is put in. Take for instance, the most common cause of death, Road Traffic Accidents is totally avoidable if;
- Drivers do not overspeed
- No drinking when driving
- No driving for underage adolescents
- Obey simple traffic rule.
In the event of a traffic accident, deaths could be prevented if;
- Prompt response from first responders
- Operational emergency numbers
- Adequate first aid, triage, and hospital care
- Professionally driven hospitals care
Preventable deaths can really be prevented but for human errors or omissions. Sometimes all that is required is for prompt treatment to be instituted… Delays are usually the greatest common index.